I just got back from a wonderful two-day fall event at Waterwise Botanicals in Escondido, CA. If you are a succulent lover, visit them and you will feel like you died and went to heaven. There are acres and acres of colorful and amazing varieties of succulents and roses, lining the fields and hillsides and staging areas of design. It was also fun to be with 200+ others who are intrigued and obsessed by these plants – some even more than me!
One of the events I participated in was hosted by Laura Eubanks of Serenity Gardens. With her excellent direction, we created a gorgeous Succulent Topped Pumpkin centerpiece, which will last well through the holidays. Three years ago, this creative Master Gardener was looking for something unusual to accent her holiday decorations, and after a little experimenting, she came up with the succulent pumpkin! Her creations are available for sale at a variety of locations including Roger’s Gardens and through her website. You can also request a custom gift, centerpiece or landscape arrangement and have it shipped to any location.
Or – like me – you can learn to do it yourself! The workshop included all the tools you need but here’s the short list if you want to DIY:
- Florist Moss
- Cuttings of a variety of succulents in varying sizes
- Cones, Acorns, Magnolia Pods
- Craft Glue or Hot Glue Gun
Watch this instructional 4-minute video with Laura and photojournalist/author Debra Lee Baldwin for complete directions on creating your own masterpiece. Have fun! Send pictures!
- Decorated Pumpkin with Pods, Berries, and Drieds (thegardendiaries.wordpress.com)
- Waterwise Botanicals Fall Garden Party (everythingsucculent.com)
- Pumpkins Pumpkins Pumpkins! (rollinggreensnursery.wordpress.com)
- Succulent Pumpkins for the Fall (thegardendiaries.wordpress.com)
- Succulent Cafe – A Secret Garden (everythingsucculent.com)